Friday, January 14, 2011

Kama Sutra: Pillars

Over on my Goodreads page, where I began the "Passionate Mind" blog, I had explored two subtle phases of the Kama Sutra that also found expression in my poetry. In the first, the concept of all of us possessing "seven senses", and in the second, the beauty of joining our oneness to nature with our sensuality. In this third poem, the Kama Sutra once again goes beyond (or rather, enhances and deepens) the physical, in the way that we can become whole when joined.

Kama Sutra: Pillars

There are moments of love
that are crafted to be living echoes
of temples raised to the sky;
towers that call down the hungry moon.

We stand, and together
our pleasure joins heaven and earth.
Sthita is the first step,
with a wall to aid us.

Her hands rest flat
on the plastered surface,
which still holds the heat of the day;
her palms burn with it.
She looks over her shoulder,
seeking the eyes of one who will rival
that sun's heat, and fill her with it.

Turn then,
and give your back to the wall,
let your feet spread, wider and wider,
until you sink down onto me,
so that I am the pillar
suspending you.
Face to face, Sammukha.
Whisper to me what you would like
to feel within you.

She says, "I wish most of all
for separateness to leave us,
for me to see into you,
as you enter me."

Then twine your thighs around mine,
lock your feet to my knees,
clasp my neck,
and I will lift you into the swing,
which is Dola.

Catch me in the cage of your arms
and crush me,
force my knees apart,
and sink slowly into me.
Dadhyayataka, the churn.
So we will blend
into perfect fiery harmony.

I want you to draw up one leg,
nestle it here, behind my knee.
Let us move
in a single stride, Traivikrama.

One step, just one step,
purely joined.
I do not remember
what it was to be alone.
We have banished the horizon;
sky and earth are joined.
Tears are in my eyes,
a moaning rises from my center.
I did not know
that my body could stand so,
burning into you, consumed
and consuming.
I love you.

And I love you.

6 comments:

ks112761 said...

Fantastic Unity of all the senses expressed so perfectly here. You always blow my mind R.
Star to Star
Kristaline

R. Paul said...

Thanks, Kristaline! One thing that always deeply impresses me about the Kama Sutra, as I have so often said before, is the way it invites the soul to participate in the joining shared by lovers..."the unity of all the senses", as you express it so beautifully.

Star to star,
R.

Lisa Alexander Griffin said...

So beautiful. :)

R. Paul said...

A smile and a hug for you, Lisa. Many thanks.

Ivy said...

very nice, R. Paul. Is that from Touch in the Bed of Light?

Ivy

R. Paul said...

Exactly right, Ivy. There is a series of four Kama Sutra poems in the Touch in the Bed of Light collection. Anyone interested in reading more from the "Touch" collection can easily do so by clicking on the cover image on the right sidebar of this blog...it will take you to a selection from the book.

Thanks for coming by to read, Ivy!